Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Film length... 15minutes? I see 3 minutes worth h

  1. #1
    kchukalas
    Guest kchukalas's Avatar
    Hello,

    I have finally gotten back my very first roll of developed film back from Walmart. I thought I shot 15 minutes worth of footage...... why does it appear that 3 minutes worth is here? Yikes...

    Kirk

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    A Super-8 babe in the woods...the backwoods of Michigan no less.

    Each 50 foot roll of Super-8 film nets you either 2 minutes and 30 seconds if you shoot at 24 frames per second, or 3 minutes and 20 seconds if you shot at 18 frames per second.

    If you shot "undercranked", meaning at a speed slower than 18 frames per second, and you transfer the film at the speed you shot it at...(say you shot at 6 frames per second, and transferred at 6 frames per second)

    Your 2 minute and 30 second roll of film suddenly becomes 10 minutes of footage.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    If you bump into Michael Moore of "Roger and me Fame", tell him Alex thinks he is a Putz for not responding to e-mails.

    -Alex


    ------------------

  3. #3
    Frameline
    Guest Frameline's Avatar
    The 15m on the Super8 packaging is referring to its linear legnth NOT its running time!!
    15=fifteen METERS=50feet=3minutes and a bit!!

    ------------------

  4. #4
    c_77
    Guest c_77's Avatar

    Wink

    Don't feel bad Kirk, I once told my friend my 8mm camera was good for 19 mins! I still don't know where that came from. Luckily (or unluckily) he understood film and just told me I was crazy! Not that your crazy. Good Luck! - Chris

    ------------------

  5. #5
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    I think Super8 just got 5 times more expensive in Kirks mind .
    Actually. Kirk, When I first started shooting S8 I didn't really have a frame of reference as to what 2 1/2 minutes felt like when I was only shooting short takes, so when I got the footage back I realized I had wasted a lot of time shooting things when the cartradge was empty. It's easy to do if you aren't used to it or you're switching out different cartrages to test stocks.

    ------------------
    PRM

  6. #6
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Yes.
    Although my camera has a 'length of film left' meter on the side, I rarely notice it.
    If Im not concentrating then I only notice the film has run out by a slight change in the pitch of the motor. Thats worth noting.


    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •